Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sensory overload

Today I was overwhelmed with too many very sick patients. We don't have enough time and resources to be very sure of their diagnosis. Two patients died of strokes, which you can't treat. One boy died of sickle cell disease--ie crisis. New pt with Stage IV AIDS with meningitis and a lady in renal failure from probable but certainly not definite disseminated TB who won't live long.
The hot dry winds don't help. This is the worst time of the year I'm told to live in Jos----when the rains come, it is much nicer.
I went to Mashiah Foundation today this pm and found alot of hope and joy in the women who sew and make quilts, place mats, dolls etc. They all have HIV and didn't have a place to stay nor any skills to earn food, so Mary Beth and Baye Oyebade started this home for them and taught them to sew. They now are self supporting and have a new life. They laugh alot and some of them were as sick as the patients I described above. They now have 54 people on staff and are reaching out to teach and help more patients each year. I will show you some of their products as I bought a doll, table runner , purses etc.
Must get home before dark
Will

1 comment:

  1. In case I forget to tell you next time I see you, Dr. Will, you are the bomb!

    Love from Roxy

    ReplyDelete